Saturday, March 17, 2012

Fallen Heroes 5k 2012

I was pretty nervous Thursday & Friday leading up to Saturday morning.
I laid everything out the night before.
I had a hard time sleeping Friday night.
I dreamt we were late to the race and didn't get to run, that my phone wouldn't work & play my music...
But everything was fine. Except for the RAIN!
We woke up at 6am, ate oatmeal & got dressed.
Our friends, Katie & James met us at our house and we drove to the park.
As soon as we got out of the car, we felt the raindrops.
Not a good sign.
 
We made our way down to the opening ceremonies and everyone was huddled inside as the drops became a steady rainfall.
We were told to make our way to the starting line, stretch, get my headphones and music ready.
Then the gun went off. 
The cool rain felt good on my face.
I kept track of my pace on my watch.
My first mile 10:55, my second around 13 and my third, 13 again.
I got emotional seeing families standing by the signs of their fallen hero...and I cried thinking that last year, I stood at the same 5k watching my husband, saying that no one could pay me to do a 5k, it just wasn't something I thought I could do.
There were hills and it seemed long but before I knew it, it was over and I was crossing the finish line at 37:16, my official time. :)
Under my goal of 39 minutes!
One happy girl!
I am SO thankful for my friends who ran with us and keep me motivated on my journey :)
Bananas & Cracker Barrel for breakfast, then naps.
It was amazing and I can't wait to do again soon!



2 comments:

  1. You did SO amazing and I'm SO proud of you! Thanks for persuading me to do it even though it terrified me! Now that I'm rested, I may think about doing another one... with training of course! Love you skinny mini! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO proud of you chica! It is scary the first time-next time will be fun! Thanks so doing it with me :)

      Delete