Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Not All Salads Are Created Equal...

I have memories of making hamburger helper, meatloaf, spaghetti & pepperoni alfredo pasta growing up.
Some recipes were box mixes, some were homemade.
As I got older and both of my parents worked 9-5 Monday-Friday, the menu changed.
We ate more and more processed, pre-cooked, frozen meals. 
In high school I feel like all we ever ate for dinner was frozen pizza with ranch.
Or chicken tenders & fries, fried or baked.
When we wanted to be "healthy" we had fried chicken with salad and full fat ranch instead of fries.
I know that I made the decision to eat those things, but I basically grew up with the idea that eating a salad of any kind was healthy.
When I started doing research on my own I realized that not all salads are created equal.
Restaurant salads especially.
Caesar salad is not very good for you at all. 
And once you add fried anything to a salad I don't think you should call it a salad anymore.
Adding bacon, eggs and full fat cheese makes it almost as many calories as everything else on the menu.
This was eye opening to me.
It feels silly to think that I just believed what my parents believed, but I was a kid. 
Now I know better. And I'm so glad that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment